Our Favorite Squash Pie, for Ben
This recipe is by Elena (creator of the beautiful blog http://elanaspantry.com/ ), written down by me so that Ben could attempt to make it by himself.
2 medium butternut squash, cut in half [ask Mama or Papa to help with this!], seeds removed 3 tablespoons butter 2 large eggs 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon cinnamon ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg ½ teaspoon salt
1) Preheat oven to 350f (“convection bake”). Rub cut sides of squash with a little bit of coconut oil.
2) Place squash, cut side down, on a metal rimmed baking sheet.
3) Bake squash on top rack (which is in the middle) of oven for 40-60 minutes, until soft (test by poking with a knife).
4) Let the squash cool so you don't burn your fingers when touching it!
5) Peel skin off squash (compost skin).
6) Place squash in food processor with butter (or oil), eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
7) Puree until smooth and creamy.
8) Place in the blue and green baking pan and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.