Perfect Applesauce "Snack Cake"
With gratitude to healthyseasonalrecipes.com, from whose recipe this is adapted. I was so thrilled to find something so perfect to fill a craving for a warm, spicy apple cake! (If you leave some of the applesauce chunky, so much the better.)
1 large bundt pan or a 9x13” sheet pan
Zest from 1 lemon
2 c. unsweetened applesauce, preferably home-made
½ cup maple syrup (or ¼ c. syrup + ¼ additional c. applesauce)
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 cups rice flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Grease a large bundt or 9x13” pan with coconut oil.
2. Gently heat the zest, applesauce, maple syrup and oil in a small saucepan until coconut oil melts. Add the eggs, and puree the warmed wet ingredients using blender or food processor.
3. Sift/whisk flour, baking soda, spices and salt in a large bowl, making sure there are no chunks of soda. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ones. Gradually stir the dry into the wet until combined.
4. Immediately spread into the prepared pan and transfer to the oven. Bake until the cake is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched, 45 to 55 minutes, depending on the pan size.
5. Let cool in pan 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.