Adapted from a recipe at http://www.chow.com/recipes/11286 (check this out if you don't want to make my version, which requires sourdough starter)
This is really moist, tasty, tender, non-crumbly, and crispy on the bottom!
* 1.5 c. masa harina
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* 3/4 tsp. salt
* 2/3 c. boosted brown rice starter (http://www.lifeisapalindrome.com/recipes/gluten-free-sourdough-starter)
* 2 eggs
* 1 scant T honey
* 1 c (or a little bit more) hemp milk or other milk
* 4 Tbsp. olive oil, or softened butter
1. Place a cast-iron skillet on the middle rack of the oven, and turn the oven on to 425f to preheat for 10-20 minutes.
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Rub half of oil or butter (2 T) into dry ingredients.
4. Add eggs and enough milk to dry ingredients to make a batter (takes more than regular cornmeal bread), around 1 cup.
5. Put olive oil or butter in hot skillet; swirl to coat, then immediately pour and spread batter into pan.
6. Bake until brown around edges and light brown on top, and toothpick emerges moistly clean--20 minutes or so. Cool out of the pan if you want to keep the bottom crust crisp.